6/29/2015

Never Doubt the Struggles



It's been awhile.  Seriously, when was the last time I wrote here?  Or anywhere for that matter...  It's time I be real about why I haven't written at all: I am lazy.  And I apologize for that laziness.  I hope that I'll continue to write something each week that can encourage any of you who read it.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

This past week has been hard, with a capital H.  

I started a new job at a church-run day care, and you could say that it's a lot like parenting about 15 kids at once.  I don't know how that Duggars do it.  Each day of last week brought a different struggle to the already tough days I have.  Eighty percent of the time, the kids wouldn't listen, were loud, and constantly fought verbally and physically with each other.  

Don't get me wrong, I am super grateful for the job.  On the twenty minute drive to work every day, I pray.  I thank God for this opportunity and ask Him to be my strength and show these dear kids His love.  Plus, I'd probably be working at another fast food place if it wasn't for this blessing.

Out of the four 10-hour days I work during the week, I came home in a bad mood on all four evenings.  My attitude for the rest of the day was changed because I allowed the stress and frustration from my job to affect my heart and mind.  I knew that this job was a gift, but it felt awfully hard to keep up with.

Other than anything work-related, the week kept getting worse as I got closer to Friday.  My fiance and I planned for us to spend the weekend at his family's house in Michigan, and I was beyond excited.  What better than to spend quality time with the one you love when you had a stressful week?

But by Thursday, plans got changed and I was no longer going to Michigan.  My frustration rose a little.  Then my work schedule for Friday changed, and I was no longer going to be hiking with the kids but instead was going to be stuck inside at the church.  My frustration rose a lot.  Left and right, everything was going wrong.

And then I got sick.

I woke up Friday morning with a headache and a stuffy nose.  I knew a cold was coming on, but I went to work anyway.  Throughout the day, my symptoms got worse and worse, and by the time I got home, I had to relax the rest of the day.  In my mind, this week had become one of the worst yet this summer.  I mean, I spent each morning giving my day to God, and this is what happens?

And then I realized something.

I got sick on Friday, the day I was supposed to go hiking and to Michigan.  I would've been miserable the entire weekend if I had been sick while hiking with kids and driving 3 hours.  I had been blaming God for what was happening, when really I should have been thanking Him.  He saved me from a bad weekend and also allowed me to see my fiance on Sunday for a little bit.

This week I am starting fresh.  I will stay positive even when my day isn't going my way.  I will look to the Lord when stress creeps into my mind when kids are screaming and plans get changed.  I will continue to pray for love and strength and guidance so I can give my all to Him in every moment.

And I pray that you can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment